Monday, October 04, 2010

Hoboken Festival: Good Tunes, & Good Weather (for a Change)

From reports I've heard, the music was great at yesterday's Fall edition of the Hoboken Arts & Music Festival. And the weather was beautiful too, aside from occasional wind gusts that blew over exhibitors' stuff. No rain, at least.

Above: Hoboken's own The Fave gets the crowd moving with their guitar-driven rock.

I only managed to watch a couple of sets (and hear parts of others in passing), but liked what I heard. Hoboken's own The Fave had the crowd rocking, and I came across an unexpected pleasure on the second stage: a sultry young singer named Emily Turonis, who was accompanied by a standup bass player and a guitarist. Though she was singing in the afternoon at a street festival, her voice made me feel as if I was in a smoky nightclub.

(The Cliffview Pilot has a recap of a number of the Festival's performances, including Richard Barone, and photos.)


Above: Emily Turonis singing standards at the Sixth Street stage.

I missed the 12 Noon set by Care Bears on Fire, but the band told me they've got some upcoming dates in New York, including one at the CMJ Music Festival.

Above: Care Bears on Fire sign posters and CDs after their set, accompanied by a rather large bag of popcorn.

No comments :