|See tips below on the best bands to see at CMJ 2014.|
Prepare for live-music overload: the five days of the CMJ Music Marathon starts in just a few hours, Tuesday, Oct. 21st. That means hundreds of bands will be playing all over New York City. And you can see a lot of them for free (note: you may have to RSVP for many free shows, and then show up early because even with an RSVP the gigs are first come, first serve). And there are lots of unofficial shows, as well.
If you've got a flexible schedule and can make it to the daytime showcases, so much the better.
To dive into the massive number of acts, take a look at the official CMJ schedule (and download their free Oct. 2014 mixtape, featuring tunes from Purling Hiss, Young Magic, Matthew Dear, and more). For a more manageable, curated look at what's worth seeing, check these links (we've added more as we've come across them):
- The Oh My Rockness guide to official CMJ shows, list of 14 bands to see, and free shows during CMJ
- Flavorpill's "10 CMJ showcases you don't want to miss"
- NME's "16 bands you can't afford to miss at CMJ 2014"
- Time Out New York's "10 acts to see at this year's CMJ"
- Brooklyn Vegan takes a local perspective with "10 NYC artists to see at CMJ this week" (and see BV's own five shows at CMJ)
Here's a sampling of just a few of the showcases and other events going on during CMJ (which runs from the 21st to the 25th):
* No Sleep till CMJ II unofficial showcase from No Sleep Records & Brooklyn Vegan (Oct. 21st, 6 p.m.) at The Paper Box, Brooklyn with John Nolan, '68, Chris Farren, Run Forever, & more
* Bowery Presents day party (Saturday, Oct. 25th) at Piano's with The Wytches, Circa Waves, Water Liars, DMAs, & more
* Conscious Coupling showcase by Father/Daughter Records and Miscreant Records (Friday, Oct. 24th, 2 p.m.) at Silent Barn, Brooklyn with Comfy, Flagland, Girlpool, Bent Shapes, Leapling, & more
* Brooklyn Vegan free day parties (Oct. 24th & 25th, 12 Noon) at Baby's All Right, Brooklyn with Twin Peaks, Single Mothers, Protomartyr, & more (on Friday; Saturday lineup to come)
Rest up, check these lists and the CMJ website, and prepare for a great five days of live-music bingeing!