Tonight is annual event known as Fashion's Night Out, and in New York that means plenty of free music gigs around town amid the fashion shows and late-night shopping. See the listings from Brooklyn Vegan and Oh My Rockness to see what bands are playing where and when. You can try using the search at the Fashion's Night Out website, but there doesn't seem to be a way to view just the music events, so you pretty much need to search the site by location (searching by band name doesn't work).
Here are some of the events, according to the above sources:
- Best Coast at Helmut Lang, 6 p.m. (event listed as running till 11 p.m., but it's not clear what time Best Coast is playing)
- Ronnie Spector, Lypskinka, and many others at Bergdorf Goodman, 6:45 p.m.
- The Roots at John Varvatos, 9 p.m.
- Real Estate at Ash Footwear Soho, 6 to 10 p.m. (playing acoustic at 8; DJ'ing the rest of the time)
- Kelly Rowland (Destiny's Child) at Macy's Herald Square, 4th Floor, 7 p.m.
- Joss Stone at Macy's Herald Square, 7 p.m.
- Justin Townes Earle (doing songs from the "Rave On!" Buddy Holly tribute album) at Partners and Spade, 6 p.m.
- School of Seven Bells (acoustic) at Treasure & Bond, 8 p.m.