Sunday, July 14, 2013

Happy Birthday, Tanya Donelly! (VIDEOS)

Tanya Donelly, a very gifted singer/songwriter/guitarist who has been making infectious indie pop-rock music for several decades now, turns 47 today. Known for her work in Throwing Muses, The Breeders, Belly, and her solo work, she hasn't recorded anything lately as far as I know, I'm guessing because she's been focusing on being a mother in recent years.


Tanya Donelly and Belly performing "Red" on The Jon Stewart Show.

Donelly has made some occasional live appearances, including a few weeks ago when she joined The Breeders on stage when they played in Boston (Donelly is from Rhode Island and I think still lives somewhere in that neck of the woods). A couple of years before that she took the stage at New York's City Winery as part of the Cabinet of Wonders series, which features John Wesley Harding curating performances by a number of musicians, comedians, and storytellers.

She's been one of my favorite artists since the 1980s, and whenever I go back to her old songs I enjoy them just as much as I did when they first came out.

Happy birthday, Tanya. Hope you'll be recording and performing new material sometime soon.


Video for "The Bright Light," from Tanya Donelly's solo album "Lovesongs for Underdogs."


Belly doing "Slow Dog" on "Later... with Jools Holland.'

No comments :