The Brooklyn Vegan CMJ day parties are back this Friday and Saturday, Oct. 16th and 17th, to send the music marathon off with a bang. Once again, BV is combining killer lineups with free booze (Bell's beer on both days, samosas on Saturday, depending on when you get there and while supplies last). Read about 2014's BV CMJ day parties.
You'll notice that a number of the bands we mentioned in our CMJ 2015 post are playing the BV day parties. (Including the popular Car Seat Headrest which, as BV notes, happens to have its new album "Teens of Style" streaming at NPR Music.) Both parties are at Baby's All Right, 184 Broadway in Brooklyn. Friday's BV show runs from Noon to 7 p.m., while Saturday's shindig stretches the day party concept by going from noontime into the night and ending at the stroke of the following morning.
Friday's set times:
12:15 Long Beard
1:00 The Album Leaf
2:00 Ezra Furman
2:45 Car Seat Headrest
Saturday's set times:
11:00 a.m. - Doors
11:29 FREE SAMOSAS BEGIN
12:00 FREE KEG OF BELL's BREWERY BEER BEGINS
1:00 Martin Courtney of Real Estate
1:45 Methyl Ethel
2:30 The Gotobeds
4:00 Dilly Dally
4:45 Stealing Sheep
5:30 The So So Glos
7:00 Frankie Cosmos
7:45 Jessica Lea Mayfield
8:30 Meat Wave
9:15 The Lemon Twigs
Thursday, October 15, 2015
Tuesday, October 13, 2015
|See below for recommendations on what to see at CMJ 2015.|
The five-day live-music extravaganza known as CMJ is on again! The annual CMJ Music Marathon, now in its 35th year, started today and runs through this Saturday, Oct. 17th. Besides multiple official showcases each night in a range of venues in Manhattan and Brooklyn, there are day parties as well at some of the same venues, sometimes starting as early as 11 a.m. Plus there are numerous unofficial shows.
So what should you see? Begin by going to the CMJ Music Marathon website. Then download the official CMJ mobile app, available for iOS and Android. With the app, you can listen to bands, read their bios, connect with their social-media accounts, and, of course, discover where they're playing at CMJ. Wondering which bands you'll like? The app's "Recommender" feature connects with your Facebook account to suggest artists that might be right up your alley.
Speaking of recommendations, here are some suggestions from the music blogosphere on who to catch:
- CMJ staff picks
- The Oh My Rockness guide to official CMJ 2015 shows
- OMR's 15 bands to see at CMJ (with Spotify playlist)
- L.A. radio station KCRW's seven amazing bands to catch (with Spotify playlist)
- England's influential magazine NME tells you the 15 bands playing CMJ that everyone's going to be talking about
Among the events we're looking forward to seeing:
- The Outlaw Roadshow, put together by Ryan Spaulding (of RSLblog.com) and Adam Duritz (of Counting Crows), which runs Thursday through Saturday at Bowery Electric (doors at 6 p.m.) See what we wrote before last year's CMJ Outlaw Roadshow
- the Kiam Records showcase Wednesday at Brooklyn's Union Pool, featuring label-mates including Jennifer O'Connor, Amy Bezunartea, and Tim Foljahn, staring at 6:30 p.m. See a recent New York Times article on Amy Bezunartea
- The Unblinking Ear show with The Gotobeds, Spray Paint, and other acts, MC'd by WFMU DJ Pat Byrne, also at Union Pool, on Saturday starting at 2 p.m.
Rest up, bring your earplugs, and get ready for as much live music as you can possibly handle.