|Celebrate Brooklyn kicks off June 5th; see music schedule highlights below.|
The new season of Celebrate Brooklyn kicks off Wednesday night with acclaimed singer-songwriter Patty Griffin. Starting out with spare, acoustic girl-and-guitar folk arrangements on her first album, Griffin ranged into rousing rock on her second album, and since then has recorded in various styles of Americana, and even gospel.
Griffin is an amazing songwriter (her tunes have been covered by The Dixie Chicks and Emmylou Harris, among others), and this is a great chance to see her free.
All Celebrate Brooklyn shows are held at the Prospect Park bandshell (see here for directions, full summer lineup, and more information). The shows are free, but a $3 contribution is requested for eac show, to help defray expenses.
Here are highlights of the 2013 Celebrate Brooklyn music schedule:
- June 5th - 35th Opening Night Gala and Concert Featuring Patty Griffin, 8:15 p.m.
- June 14th - Mavis Staples / Cody ChesnuTT, 7:30 p.m.
- June 15th - Calexico / Susana Baca / Radio Jarocho & Akoko Nante Ensemble, 7:00 p.m.
- June 20th - Big Boi / Phony Ppl / D-Nice, 7:30 p.m.
- June 28th - Ladysmith Black Mambazo / Aurelio Martinez, 7:30 p.m.
- July 12th - Nortec Collective Presents: Bostich & Fussible / Mexican Institute of Sound / Mariachi Flor de Toloache, 7:00 p.m.
- July 19th - The Waterboys / Alasdair Roberts, 7:30 p.m.
- July 20th - The Lone Bellow / The Low Anthem / Joe Purdy, 7:00 p.m.
- July 26th - Trampled by Turtles / The Devil Makes Three / Brown Bird, 7:00 p.m.
- August 2nd - Jamie Lidell / Dan Deacon / The Stepkids, 7:30 p.m.
- August 10th - They Might Be Giants / Moon Hooch, 7:30 p.m.