Here's information on two very different free-music series going on in NYC this summer, the Mad. Sq. Music series and the RiverRocks concerts at Pier 84.
Bettye LaVette plays Madison Square Park on Aug. 8th.
* Mad. Sq. Music features roots music on the lawn on Wednesday nights (usually), from June 20th to August 8th (oops, I'm writing this too late for the first show).
- June 27th, 6:30 p.m.: Gretchen Parlato and Gregory Porter (jazz vocalists)
- July 4th, 3 p.m.: Noam Pikelny and Friends, The Sweetback Sisters, and Spuyten Duyvil (folk/roots music)
- July 11th, 7 p.m.: Nellie McKay (pop)
- July 18th, 7 p.m.: Jeff "Tain" Watts Quartet (jazz)
- July 25th, 7 p.m.: Regina Carter’s “Reverse Thread” (jazz)
- Aug. 1st, 6:30 p.m.: An evening with Suzzy and Maggie Roche, Sloan Wainwright and Lucy Wainwright Roche (folk)
- Aug. 8th, 7 p.m.: Bettye LaVette (blues)
- July 12th, 6 p.m.: Dan Deacon and John Maus
- July 26th, 6 p.m.: Oberhofer and The Soft Pack
- Aug. 9th, 6 p.m.: Wild Nothing, Grimes, and DIIV (formerly Dive)